2001-11-30

That Great Road We Call Life

(or, "How's that, again?")

Those of you who visit this page might note that it's not been updated for quite a while; this is, by and large, due to the various happenings that some of us refer to as Life. Others of us refer to it by a somewhat different four-letter word.

You know, as in, "Life Happens". Substitute appropriately.

The last six weeks have been a whirlwind of business without much motion, but it's been good for the head. I have been doing temporary work for As You Like It Productions, the producers of the Great Dickens Christmas Fair . I walked in to do Data Entry for them, and eventually got recruited into working at a game booth at the Fair. For their kind treatment and continued employment (until the work is gone), I am most grateful. They are WONDERFUL folks to work for. If you are in the San Francisco Bay Area or are planning to visit, please check out the Fair. It is a wonderful slice of Victorian (Dickensian) London, including the running about of Ebenezer Scrooge, Fanny Dorritt, the Crummles, David Copperfield and the ghosts of Christmases Past, Present and Future. There are many crafts and wares there appropriate to the period.

I have also been working for another good human (they're few and far between, believe me) by the name of Duncan Sandiland, who happens to also be my EA (read: "Financial Guru"). He has been kind enough to cast the occasional tidbit my way while I've been looking for work.

And last, but certainly not least, I have been kept about by several wonderful people at Mesa Electronics in Richmond, CA. The work is sporadic, but they've been kind enough to keep me in mind for when they needed me.

I am extremely grateful to all who have helped me and my family through this dry spell. It's been a trying six months, to be certain.

But this is Life.

A close friend of mine (and co-kid-raiser), Sandi, is going through some quite agonizing problems lately with her back and neck which have left her left arm largely numb, and this is torpedoing life about our domicile in quite a few ways, but she's holding up and persevering in spite of it all.

But this is Life.

To top it all off, our oldest feline of 17 years -- longer than I've known aforementioned friend -- had to be put down today. It was one of the more difficult things we've had to do.

But this is Life.

And so it goes. Life had been reasonably good for a while, and it's taken some nasty unexpected turns lately. I have every reason to believe that it will get better. Eventually.

For now, my internal temporal cycle is on hold while I try to collect my head.

And now, if you'll excuse me, dinner is burning.

No comments: